There's two different versions of the Bullebak (also known as the Bulleman or Bollebak). In Gelderland it was believed the Bullebak was a creature that came out at night to scare people with its loud roaring noises. In Utrecht and a large portion of Holland however, the Bullebak was known to be a Child Terror. The water demon came equipped with a big hook, which he used to grab children from the waterside in order to drown them. It is said though, that once children got into the water, they could see a palace and countless of beautiful lights and stars. The creature was also known in Drenthe and Overijsel. 
- ↑ http://members.home.nl/victorie.a/verhalen.htm
- ↑ http://silvercircle.org/paganisme-folklore/sporen-van-de-oude-religie-de-nederlandse-taal/
- ↑ http://www.abedeverteller.nl/van-aardmannetje-tot-zwarte-juffer-een-lijst-van-nederlandse-en-vlaamse-elfen-en-geesten/
- ↑ http://www.verhalenbank.nl/items/show/9381
- ↑ http://www.meertens.knaw.nl/kaartenbank/kaart/dialectkaart.html?id=26551
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.